Volunteer with us!
So you have the passion and drive to help others? Do you want to get some hands on experience in a helping profession?
What we do:
We offer peer support specifically for teens, by teens. We are. . .
- Understanding & knowledgeable
Though we provide extensive training, we do look for some pre-existing skills:
- Excellent computer skills
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to keep a level head in a stressful situation
- An excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written)
- Ability to follow policies and procedures. Everyone’s got some rules to follow, right? Keeping calls, chats, emails and texts confidential is really important (What are the limits to confidentiality?)
There’s a lot you can gain from volunteering with us. Here are just a few examples:
- Make connections and form friendships with other volunteers and staff
- Positively impact someone’s life
- A sense of fulfillment
- A wicked mentor and matching reference letter
- Increase your listening and communications skills
What do I have to do?
- Fill out our application form.
- Come in for an interview.
- Complete our 3 week training session. Topics include crisis intervention, domestic violence, mental health, and more.
- ConnecTeen Shifts are available from 5:00pm-10:00pm weekdays and 12:00pm-10:00pm on weekends.
- Your commitment would entail 4 shifts per month for ten months. You choose your schedule!
- Help other teens and youth experiencing crisis through phone, chat and text.
This opportunity is available for youth from 15-20 years of age.
If you want to make a difference apply today!
PLEASE NOTE: Due to capacity we are not accepting applications for August or September. Our next training is in October, please apply by September 4, 2018.
We’re recruiting blogging volunteers!
Fill Out Youth Blogging Volunteer Application Form to find out more and apply.
If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-266-1634
Application Deadlines and Training Dates 2018
Training runs on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm-9pm and on Saturdays from 9am-4pm for three weeks.
|Training Group||Application Due Date||Interview Period||Training Dates|
|August 2018||July 3, 2018||July 9-20, 2018||August 7-25, 2018|
|September 2018||September 7, 2018||August 13-24, 2018||September 11-29, 2018|
|October 2018||September 4, 2018||Sept 10-21, 2018||Oct 9-27, 2018|
|November 2018||October 9, 2018||October 15-26, 2018||Nov 13 – Dec 1, 2018|
Read what ConnecTeen volunteers have had to say about their time volunteering.
During every shift, I have the unique opportunity to listen to teens from across the city and support them in any way that I can. The most rewarding part of volunteering is simply when a caller or chatter tells me they feel so much better after our conversation.”
I have always wanted to give back to my community but never knew how, ConnecTeen gave me that chance. Now I get to make a difference in the lives of others as well as constantly learn, improve and discover myself and my abilities. The time I have given is so little to ask for all of the joy, appreciation and satisfaction that I gained through my experience volunteering with Distress Centre.”
Volunteering with ConnecTeen has definitely been a worthwhile and enriching experience and I believe it has been one of the best decisions I’ve made up to this day.”