Volunteer with us!
So you have the passion and drive to help others? Do you want to get some hands on experience in a helping profession?
What we do:
We offer peer support specifically for teens, by teens. We are. . .
- Understanding & knowledgeable
Though we provide extensive training, we do look for some pre-existing skills:
- Excellent computer skills
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to keep a level head in a stressful situation
- An excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written)
- Ability to follow policies and procedures. Everyone’s got some rules to follow, right? Keeping calls, chats, emails and texts confidential is really important (What are the limits to confidentiality?)
There’s a lot you can gain from volunteering with us. Here are just a few examples:
- Make connections and form friendships with other volunteers and staff
- Positively impact someone’s life
- A sense of fulfillment
- A wicked mentor and matching reference letter
- Increase your listening and communications skills
What do I have to do?
- Fill out our application form.
- Come in for an interview.
- Complete our 3 week training session. Topics include crisis intervention, domestic violence, mental health, and more.
- ConnecTeen Shifts are available from 5:00pm-10:00pm weekdays and 12:00pm-10:00pm on weekends.
- Your commitment would entail 4 shifts per month for ten months. You choose your schedule!
- Help other teens and youth experiencing crisis through phone, chat and text.
This opportunity is available for youth from 15-20 years of age.
If you want to make a difference apply today!
If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-266-1634
Application Deadlines and Training Dates 2019
Training runs on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm-9pm and on Saturdays from 9am-4pm for three weeks.
|Training Group||Application Due Date||Interview Period||Training Dates|
|September 2019||August 5, 2019||August 12-23, 2019||September 10-28, 2019|
|October 2019||September 2, 2019||Sept 9-20, 2019||October 8-26, 2019|
|November 2019||October 7, 2019||Oct 14-25, 2019||November 12-30, 2019|
Read what ConnecTeen volunteers have had to say about their time volunteering.
During every shift, I have the unique opportunity to listen to teens from across the city and support them in any way that I can. The most rewarding part of volunteering is simply when a caller or chatter tells me they feel so much better after our conversation.”
I have always wanted to give back to my community but never knew how, ConnecTeen gave me that chance. Now I get to make a difference in the lives of others as well as constantly learn, improve and discover myself and my abilities. The time I have given is so little to ask for all of the joy, appreciation and satisfaction that I gained through my experience volunteering with Distress Centre.”
Volunteering with ConnecTeen has definitely been a worthwhile and enriching experience and I believe it has been one of the best decisions I’ve made up to this day.”