Volunteer with us!
PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID-19 pandemic our training schedule is being adapted to an online format. We are currently accepting applications. We will discuss training months in the phone interview with each of you.
So you have the passion and drive to help others? Do you want to get some hands on experience in a helping profession?
What we do:
We offer peer support specifically for teens, by teens. We are. . .
- Understanding & knowledgeable
Though we provide extensive training, we do look for some pre-existing skills:
- Excellent computer skills
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to keep a level head in a stressful situation
- An excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written)
- Ability to follow policies and procedures. Everyone’s got some rules to follow, right? Keeping calls, chats, emails and texts confidential is really important (What are the limits to confidentiality?)
What do I have to do?
- Read the job description on the Distress Centre website.
- Fill out our application form.
- Have an interview.
- Complete our 3 week training session. Topics include crisis intervention, domestic violence, mental health, and more.
- ConnecTeen Shifts are available from 5:00pm-10:00pm weekdays and 12:00pm-10:00pm on weekends.
- Your commitment would entail 4 shifts per month for ten months. You choose your schedule!
- Help other teens and youth experiencing crisis through phone, chat and text.
If you want to make a difference, apply today!
Application Deadlines and Training Dates
Training takes place over a 3 weeks period followed by coaching shifts once a week for three to five weeks. Attendance is required for all of the training modules and coaching shifts as well before you will be able to be on the lines solo.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID-19 pandemic, our training schedule is being adapted to an online format. We are currently accepting applications. We will discuss training months in the phone interview with you.
Read what ConnecTeen volunteers have had to say about their time volunteering.
During every shift, I have the unique opportunity to listen to teens from across the city and support them in any way that I can. The most rewarding part of volunteering is simply when a caller or chatter tells me they feel so much better after our conversation.”
I have always wanted to give back to my community but never knew how, ConnecTeen gave me that chance. Now I get to make a difference in the lives of others as well as constantly learn, improve and discover myself and my abilities. The time I have given is so little to ask for all of the joy, appreciation and satisfaction that I gained through my experience volunteering with Distress Centre.”
Volunteering with ConnecTeen has definitely been a worthwhile and enriching experience and I believe it has been one of the best decisions I’ve made up to this day.”