Volunteer with us!
So you have the passion and drive to help others? Do you want to get some hands on experience in a helping profession?
What we do:
We offer peer support specifically for teens, by teens. We are. . .
- Understanding & knowledgeable
Though we provide extensive training, we do look for some pre-existing skills:
- Excellent computer skills
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to keep a level head in a stressful situation
- An excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written)
- Ability to follow policies and procedures. Everyone’s got some rules to follow, right? Keeping calls, chats, emails and texts confidential is really important (What are the limits to confidentiality?)
There’s a lot you can gain from volunteering with us. Here are just a few examples:
- Make connections and form friendships with other volunteers and staff
- Positively impact someone’s life
- A sense of fulfillment
- A wicked mentor and matching reference letter
- Increase your listening and communications skills
What do I have to do?
- Fill out our application form.
- Come in for an interview.
- Complete our 3 week training session. Topics include crisis intervention, domestic violence, mental health, and more.
- ConnecTeen Shifts are available from 5:00pm-10:00pm weekdays and 12:00pm-10:00pm on weekends.
- Your commitment would entail 4 shifts per month for ten months. You choose your schedule!
- Help other teens and youth experiencing crisis through phone, chat and text.
This opportunity is available for youth from 15-20 years of age.
If you want to make a difference apply today!
We’re recruiting blogging volunteers!
Fill Out Youth Blogging Volunteer Application Form to find out more and apply.
If you have any questions please contact: email@example.com or call 403-266-1634
Application Deadlines and Training Dates 2019
Training runs on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm-9pm and on Saturdays from 9am-4pm for three weeks.
|Training Group||Application Due Date||Interview Period||Training Dates|
|January 2019||November 26, 2018||December 3-14, 2018||January 8-26, 2019|
|February 2019||December 31, 2018||January 7-18, 2019||February 5-23, 2019|
|March 2019||January 28, 2019||February 4-15, 2019||March 5-23, 2019|
|April 2019||February 18, 2019||February 25 – March 8, 2019||Mar 26 – Apr 13, 2019|
|May L.I.V.E 2019||April 1, 2019||April 8-19, 2019||May 6-10, 2019|
|June 2019||April 29, 2019||May 6-17, 2019||June 4-22, 2019|
|July 2019||June 3, 2019||June 10-21, 2019||July 9-27, 2019|
|September 2019||August 5, 2019||August 12-23, 2019||September 10-28, 2019|
|October 2019||September 2, 2019||Sept 9-20, 2019||October 8-26, 2019|
|November 2019||October 7, 2019||Oct 14-25, 2019||November 12-30, 2019|
Read what ConnecTeen volunteers have had to say about their time volunteering.
During every shift, I have the unique opportunity to listen to teens from across the city and support them in any way that I can. The most rewarding part of volunteering is simply when a caller or chatter tells me they feel so much better after our conversation.”
I have always wanted to give back to my community but never knew how, ConnecTeen gave me that chance. Now I get to make a difference in the lives of others as well as constantly learn, improve and discover myself and my abilities. The time I have given is so little to ask for all of the joy, appreciation and satisfaction that I gained through my experience volunteering with Distress Centre.”
Volunteering with ConnecTeen has definitely been a worthwhile and enriching experience and I believe it has been one of the best decisions I’ve made up to this day.”