“When you read a great book, you don’t escape from real life, you plunge deeper into it.”
When was the last time you read something worthwhile? As a total bookworm, it makes me sad to see books being replaced by smartphones and social media. There was a time in elementary school when my friends and I would actually read at lunch or discuss our favorite books, but these days everyone is either watching Netflix or on Instagram. Books can transport you into a new world in a way movies never can.
Here are 10 incredible benefits you can gain from reading every day:
- Promotes mental wellness
- Reduces stress
- Improves general knowledge
- Increases empathy
- Expands vocabulary
- Improves writing skills
- Improves memory, focus, and concentration
- Boosts sleep
- Reading is a workout for your brain
- You become better at conversations
If reading this post moves you to read more, here are my top 5 personal favorites:
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie: For all the misfits out there, this one is for you.
- The Shining by Stephen King: It’ll chill you to your very core.
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie: “The Queen of Crime” does not disappoint.
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding: They’re just innocent little boys in a tropical paradise. What could go wrong?
- Macbeth by William Shakespeare: The higher you are, the harder you fall.