Author: Anne Stirling
The biggest concern with society (not just youth) today is the pursuit of happiness. Is happiness a short-lived feeling that exists when we’re enjoying a moment? Or is it a permanent feeling we experience every day? Happiness is defined by the Merriam Webster Dictionary as “a state of well-being and contentment” and as “a pleasurable or satisfying experience.” Both definitions are correct, but what we need to ask ourselves is how do we make our moments count by living a fulfilling life?
1. Spend your free time doing things you love
This is important because it allows you to utilize your time wisely, take your mind off the bad things, and allows you to find satisfaction. For example, there are lots of hobbies you can pick up. Spending an hour a day on an activity you enjoy will give you a break from your day-to-day routine. Trying new activities that push you out of your comfort zone will also help you learn new things about yourself and grow from there!
Some activities you can do are:*
- Arts and crafts: painting, sketching, cross-stitching, etc.
- Writing: short stories, poetry, journaling, etc.
- Cooking and baking
- Exercise-related activities: working out at a gym, joining a school-based intramural team, etc.
- Volunteer at a nonprofit organization
*For more ideas, look at the links I’ve attached at the bottom of this article!
2. Stay positive
Mary Lou Retton once said, “Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you.”
You can stay positive by:
- Remembering when you’re struggling that it is temporary and the best is yet to come
- Being grateful for the good things in your life, whether it’s your health, the people in your life, the roof over your head, or your accomplishments
- Keeping busy by chasing your goals
- Doing your best to not be discouraged by your failures; figure out what went wrong and use it as an opportunity to grow
- Spending your free time doing leisure activities you like!
Overall, finding happiness is a journey, there will be ups and downs. What we need to remember is to look for the best in every situation and to make use of our talents to find our passions.
Further reading to inspire you:
- “10 Simple Ways to Find Happiness”
- “50 Of The Most Interesting Hobbies To Try This Year”
- Happiness Quotes from GoodReads
- “Daily Happiness: 13 Simple Ways to Find it in Your Life”