Blog Hero

Peer Talk

I do not feel safe mentally in my home. I’ve already moved from my mom’s place due to extreme lows all the time, but where i’m living right now triggers my anxiety and PTSD and there’s no way to escape it. I don’t know the laws here in Calgary but I’m 16 and still in highschool.

peer talk alt image


Having troubles at home can be extremely overwhelming and it can affect other aspects of your life due to the stress. It can also be difficult to talk about what may be going on at home because not everyone knows what that’s like, and it’s disappointing when they don’t understand when you’re going through. Moving out of the house where your issues are stemming from could be a great first step, though it may not always solve the entire problem. If you are experiencing heightened anxiety and PTSD due to your new living situation, it may be helpful to reach out to a professional support system, such as a family doctor, that can provide you with not only an outlet but also any other support you may need, medicinally or emotionally.

If you are ever feeling unsafe at home or in your temporary living situation, I would encourage you to immediately reach out to a trusted friend or adult, or even the police if necessary.  Child Intervention Services is there to ensure your safety, so don’t hesitate to reach out to them if you don’t feel safe (1-800-387-5437).  On the topic of help, sometimes when someone offers it, it can be difficult for you to accept it without feeling guilty or worrying that you’re asking for too much. If you worry that you are overstepping or overstaying your welcome, but do not have anywhere else to go in the moment, it may be helpful to talk about that with the people you are staying with. Our minds can sometimes spiral and overthink, leading us to believe something that may not necessarily be true.

In Alberta, you are technically able to leave home without parental permission at 16 years of age, though sometimes that can be a big step that is hard to go through with and is not always an affordable option. If you are considering leaving home due to conflict with a parent, Wood’s Homes’ CRT is a community resource team that specializes in resolving and mediating conflict between families. The services they offer include over the phone counselling as well as text and live chat, and visits to homes, schools and hospitals. More information about CRT can be found on

Struggling with home life can be one of the most painful things to go through, and it’s not always easy to talk about. If you find yourself in an unsafe or uncomfortable or if you ever need to talk about what you are going through, feel free to reach out to ConnecTeen by calling us at 403 264 8336 or texting us at 587 333 2724,  we are always here to listen.


Written by

More Articles By

Stay Connected

Our Blog

Learn more about how we’re helping young people love themselves and the world around them.

chevron-right chevron-left

Check Us Out on

Volunteer With Us

Make a real difference in the lives of young Calgarians by volunteering with our team.

Contact Our Team

Have a question? Want to start a fundraising initiative with us? We’d love to hear from you. Contact the ConnecTeen team today.

Get Help Now

Connect with someone who understands and get the support you deserve.


Make a donation and help us support youths and young adults across our city and surrounding areas.

instagram facebook facebook2 pinterest twitter google-plus google linkedin2 yelp youtube phone location calendar share2 link star-full star star-half chevron-right chevron-left chevron-down chevron-up envelope fax