I think I may be depressed…

I think I may be depressed and I don’t know what to do. Who can I talk to?

There are many resources available to help and support you through this difficult time. If you are comfortable approaching your parents, this can be an awesome first step. Parents don’t always have all the answers, or they might feel uncomfortable talking about some subjects. If that’s the case, there are other options.

If you have a family doctor, it would be a good idea to see them. They will respect your privacy and will be able to help you or give you a referral to a doctor who specializes in helping teenagers with depression. If you do not have a family doctor, speaking to your school guidance counselor is also an option as they can point you in the right direction.

Depression is tough because sometimes it is situational and talking with a good listener may be enough. Other times, it can be ongoing and you may need to talk to a doctor who can prescribe medication for you if necessary.

Access Mental Health is a great resource as well. They are able to connect you to professionals in the mental health field that may be able to help you. They are available at 403-943-1500 (ext. 1).

Call us at 403-264-TEEN (8336) if you need to talk, chat with us at www.calgaryconnecteen.com or text us at 587-333-2724. And if you and the peer support volunteer think it is a good fit you can share a little information and we can get you in to see one of our counselors at Distress Centre free of charge.