Blog Hero

Peer Talk

I am 17 and I would like to move out. What legal action could my guardians take if I did?

peer talk alt image

I have anxiety and depression and I am being put down where I live.

It seems like a very hard time that you are going through. No one likes being put down and how you feel about it is completely normal. It is also normal for a person to feel like moving out when you are being treated this way. Sometimes I have felt like moving out too. I have felt that I was old enough to deal with a lot of the things in life and that I should be given freedom in my choices so I kinda get where you’re coming from.

Going through anxiety and depression is so difficult for anyone but especially teenagers because there are so many other things changing and happening at this time. When we’re feeling really down or anxious and aren’t getting the support we need from our loved ones, we may want to hurt ourselves. If you have considered this, we can chat right away at 403-264-8336 or text us at 587-333-2724.

When you feel put down by your family, please know it’s not your fault.

Sometimes people take out their own anger and frustration on others and that’s not okay. If it ever gets physical when you argue, please contact us as we worry about your safety.

When trying to figure out what to do in your situation, there are many other places or organizations that you can look to for help. It can be super tough to find out which one will help you with what so we tried to break it down for you as easily as possible:

If you feel like you need to leave your home immediately, you may want to consider going to youth shelters such as the Avenue 15 shelter. You can also phone them at 403-543-9651

Another place you may find very helpful is the Community Resource Team(CRT) They can help you with any conflicts or disagreements between you and your family, as well as help you to deal with the stress you’re going through. You may contact them through phone calls, chats, texts and emails, and if you like, they can come to visit you at your house or at school. Check out the website for more info.

Another resource to try is Youth Law. Since you’re 17 you may have different rights than someone younger than you and they have a whole Question and Answer page on their website for Independent Living. Their services are completely free too so you can get legal advice, information and representation in civil law matters if you can’t get help from anyone else. This is perfect if you’re wondering about your rights and your guardian’s rights. Here at ConnecTeen, we aren’t lawyers so we don’t know a lot about your legal rights other than ensuring your safety and that the legal age you can leave your home to live alone is 16.

This can be a lot of info to get at one time, so you feel overwhelmed that’s pretty normal. Give us a shout if you’d like to talk it out or get more details on some awesome resources that could help you figure out what you need and your next step.

Written by

More Articles By

Stay Connected

Our Blog

Learn more about how we’re helping young people love themselves and the world around them.

chevron-right chevron-left

Check Us Out on

Volunteer With Us

Make a real difference in the lives of young Calgarians by volunteering with our team.

Contact Our Team

Have a question? Want to start a fundraising initiative with us? We’d love to hear from you. Contact the ConnecTeen team today.

Get Help Now

Connect with someone who understands and get the support you deserve.


Make a donation and help us support youths and young adults across our city and surrounding areas.

instagram facebook facebook2 pinterest twitter google-plus google linkedin2 yelp youtube phone location calendar share2 link star-full star star-half chevron-right chevron-left chevron-down chevron-up envelope fax